Thermal and Statistical Physics
All chapters are copyrighted by Harvey Gould and Jan Tobochnik. They are not to be copied
or distributed without contacting one of the authors.
The notes have been published by Princeton University Press. The current cost of the book is $99.95, but it can be purchased for less. The notes are freely available online, although their format differs from the published version. Solutions to the problems are available to instructors who have adopted the text upon request from Princeton University Press.
The website for the book is on Compadre, together with links to supplementary material.
Our text has been reviewed by Daniel ben-Avraham, J. Stat. Phys. 140 (5), 1022-1023 (2010), Don S. Lemons, Am. J. Phys. 79, 431-432 (2011), and by A. H. Harker, Contemp. Phys. 52 (5), 492-493 (2011).
Please send us your comments and suggestions for improving the text.
Many of the problems in Chapters 1 and 3-9 make use of simulations. The program names mentioned in the text do not always correspond with the names of the programs in the Launcher. The correspondence is summarized here.
The pdf files are hyperlinked, although not all the links work with all operating systems and software used to read the pdf files.
- Errata. The errors and typos have been corrected in the pdf files, but appear in the published copy. Updated 10 January 2015.
- Corrections to Solutions Manual. Updated 12 January 2015.
- Table of Contents. Updated 22 February 2010.
- Preface. Updated 26 August 2010.
- Chapter 1, "From Microscopic to Macroscopic Behavior." Updated 3 June 2014.
- Chapter 2, "Thermodynamic Concepts and
Processes."Updated 3 June 2014.
- Chapter 3, "Concepts of Probability."
Updated 3 June 2014.
- Chapter 4, "The Methodology of
Statistical Mechanics." Updated 9 January 2015.
- Chapter 5, "Magnetic Systems." Updated 6 January 2015.
- Chapter 6, "Many Particle Systems." Updated 9 January 2015.
- Chapter 7, "The Chemical Potential and Phase Equilibria." Updated 3 June 2014.
The following chapters are more advanced.
Updated 22 February 2015.
- Chapter 8, "Theories of Gases and Liquids." Updated 8 June 2010.
- Chapter 9, "Critical Phenomena and the Renormalization Group." Updated 26 March 2010.
- New chapters are planned on non-thermal statistical processes and time-dependent phenomena.
- Appendix A. Updated 5 February 2010.
- Problem Listing. Updated 27 May 2009.
- Index. Updated 11 February 2010.
- Introduction to Many-Body Perturbation Theory, 10 pages. Updated 2 January 2006. This chapter is not included in the published text.